Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Introduction to the Magma Lords - Colors


So, as a writer, I find that any 40k army that you're truly passionate about should have some sort of background; it should never just puff out of thin air and be 100% ready for combat. Personally, I like an army with character and with a history. Therefore, when I was coming up with a color scheme, I chose to create something completely original. This gives me more flexibility to have fun with the army's back story and not have to conform to a cookie-cutter format that already exists. Thus, I "founded" the Magma Lords Chapter.

My initial reason to create the Magma Lords was because I really wanted to use the Vulkan He'stan model in my games (twin-linked flamers and meltas? That's a no-brainer!). I decided to make a lost founding of the Salamanders so that I could use Vulkan. But of course, I also wanted more than just the fact that they were descendents of the Salamanders. I wanted my chapter to have an original armor color, personalized models, and a lot more background.

Let's start with the armor. After deciding to redo my White Scars (I scrapped them since I had absolutely no bikes), I initially thought I'd go with the Sable Swords. "Who??" Exactly. A chapter that had an existing history in the game, but a very, very minimal one. I thought I could play around with them, but I didn't get very far. Soon, ADD/boredom took hold of my paintbrush and I made the shoulder trim and knee pads red but keeping the majority of the armor black. Then I realized that not all of my models had separate knee plates. So then I made the entire lower legs and feet red, too. And that's pretty much how we got to this:


It's basic, but effective, I think.

Next will be the personalized models and back story!

No comments:

Post a Comment